Okor (Czech Republic)






Okor (pronounced "Oh-kozh") is about 30 minutes from Prague by car. I found it particularly remarkable that it was built not on a high, defensive area - like most castles - but on a small hill that barely rises from a small valley surrounded by farmland.

This from a Czech Castles blog:
"The Okor village is first mentioned in 1228 as a property of St George Monastery in Prague Castle (klášter sv. Jiří na Pražském hradě). A Gothic castle was built here in 1359 by a wealthy burgher of Prague's Old Town Frantisek Rokycansky, what was quite unusual in those times, when most castles were built by noblemen."

Links:
Short Video Tour (from Prague.tv)
Hotel Okor
Okor Open-Air Music Festival

Comments

Marek Prokop said…
Hi Jason,

Thanks for linking to my Czech Castles. I've included your blog to my blogroll. If you would like to join me to a castle hunting trip some day, feel free to contact me.

Popular posts from this blog

Krivoklat (Czech Republic)

Devin (Bratislava, Sovakia)